Accurately tracking and recording waste is essential for effective inventory management. This ensures that any items in the store which can no longer be used are removed from inventory, always ensuring that the inventory stock levels remain accurate. Recording waste allows the store to track the cost of wasting stock and see the impact on their profit and loss.
Best practices for Waste are as follows:
Save time and enter waste directly on the Fourth mobile screen
Enter waste items into Fourth during every shift
- Record Finished (Sales Item) and Inventory Item waste
- From the Work Flow, select the Enter Waste task (Fig.1), or from the Menu tab, navigate to the Waste tab, then select Waste (Fig.2)
Fig.1 - Work Flow navigation Fig.2 - Menu navigation
- Alternatively, log into the mobile site directly on a mobile device and select Inventory Waste from the Menu
- Select Record
Fig.3 - Mobile navigation
- Select the +ADD NEW ITEM(S) button at the top of the next page to begin recording waste
Fig.4 - Add new items
- Start typing in the item name and select the SEARCH button
- A list of items containing the search terms will appear from both the inventory and finished categories
- Select the item(s) by ticking the box on the left
- To add this item to the waste screen select the ADD ITEM(S) button
Fig.5 - Search for waste items
- Once the items have been added, enter the amounts of waste for each item in the quantity fields
- Waste quantities can be entered in any decimal amounts (e.g. 0.5, 0.25, 0.3, etc.)
- Select a Reason for the waste from the drop-down menu
If someone accidently enters waste for the wrong item, reverse this by submitting in a negative amount for the same item.
Fig.6 - Enter quantities and waste reason
- To confirm and submit the waste, select the FINISH button at the top of the page
Fig.7 - FINISH button
- A pop-up confirmation box will display, select SUBMIT
Fig.8 - Submit waste selections
Users can create a Quick List of frequently wasted items that will help to quickly record waste next time. Once configured, this list of items will appear on this page automatically going forward. Quick List items are unique to each user.
- To save an item to the Quick List, select the Star icon on the far right of an item (turning it blue)
- To remove an item from the Quick List, select the Star icon again to deselect it
- To delete an item from the Waste page, select the Trash Can icon
Fig.9 - Submit waste selections
Please sign in to leave a comment.