This article will cover how to create new shifts, edit, and move existing shifts within the Scheduling tab in HotSchedules.
Please note: Schedules can be viewed, edited, and posted up to 15 weeks ahead. Shifts in the past cannot be created or edited. Edits are saved immediately and will be visible to any other manager viewing the schedule once each change is made to a shift.
Create and Edit Shifts
To create a new shift, you can either:
- Select an open cell and then click on the + sign (see Fig.1)
- Double-click any open cell (in ClassicView) or space (in SmartView) in the Scheduler.
- In the shift window, type in the start and end times in either 12-hour or 24-hour time. The end time will default to the default shift length you have set up in the Schedule Settings, but it is still adjustable.
Users will only be able to create shift start/end times that correlate with the schedule interval setting. Example: If a store is set to a 15-minute interval, users cannot schedule shifts to start at 11:05 or 11:10. It will revert to 11:00 or 11:15. This setting is generally configured to be the same across different stores in the same company, but a point of contact can reach out to Customer Support to inquire about changing it.
- Select the Job, Location, and Schedule from the drop-down menus
Fig.1 - Creating a Shift [select image to enlarge]
- To edit an existing shift, double-click on it
- To add multiple shifts, select Add another shift. The shifts will show in the timeline above, and the hour and cost totals display on the right of each shift (see Fig.2)
- To add the shifts to the schedule, select Save
Fig.2 - Add multiple shifts
- To move a shift within the schedule, click and drag it to another cell
Fig.3 - Moving a shift [select image to enlarge]
- You can also drag and drop within SmartView. Click and drag the ends of shifts to make them longer or shorter.
Fig.4 - Moving a shift in SmartView [select image to enlarge]
An unassigned shift in HotSchedules is called a house shift. See HS Scheduling: House Shifts for more information about creating, editing, and assigning house shifts!
Keyboard shortcuts will help you quickly do things like copy shifts, delete shifts, and undo changes. While you are on the Scheduling tab, press the ? key on your keyboard to view a list of all the shortcuts and an attribute guide to explain all the colored cells in the scheduler.
- S – Smart Select Tool. Can be used for House Shifts and to reassign shifts.
- I – Insert. Used to override availability, for example. "I" inserts a house shift directly to a cell.
(Click the house shift, click the cell, and type "I".)
- H – Make the shift a House Shift. Send a shift back to the House Manager.
- Delete Key – Delete a shift. Empty a cell.
- Ctrl-Click – Select multiple cells for deleting or housing.
- T – Trade shifts. Swap contents of cells. (Hold ctrl key, press a cell, continue holding the ctrl key, select another cell, let go of all keys and type "T".)
- C – Copy a cell’s contents to the clipboard.
- X – Cut a cell’s contents to the clipboard.
- V – Paste the clipboard’s contents into a cell.
- Z – Undo an action (up to 20)
- Y – Redo an action (up to 20)