What are House Shifts?
House shifts are unassigned shifts in the scheduler. This means that the shift is not currently assigned to any employee, but it will be available for employees to try to pick up. If you post a schedule with house shifts, employees who are not already scheduled during the day part of the house shift will see it as available for pick up. Managers can then approve or deny those employees who attempt to pickup the house shift. See this article about shift approvals to see more about this process.
House shifts will appear in the house shift manager at the bottom of the scheduler. If you are missing that option, please visit this article.
How are House Shifts Created?
- Templates - This feature allows you to quickly apply a set of predetermined shifts to a schedule. When a template is applied, any unassigned shifts will appear in the house shift manager. Then they can be assigned to employees. See this article to learn more about using templates.
- Copying Schedules - If one week's schedule is copied into another, there may be differences in employee availability. For example, the target week could have some approved time off or a new availability change. Since the employee is not considered available to work, that shift becomes a house shift. See this article to learn more about copying schedules.
- House shifts are manually created - Anyone with access to edit schedules can turn an assigned shift into a house shift by selecting it and pressing the H key on their keyboard. See this article for more information on keyboard shortcuts! There is also an option in the menu called Convert to House Shifts - which will convert all assigned shifts to house shifts. New house shifts can also be created through the menu:
- On the week in question, open the menu and select Create House Shift. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut - [CTRL + SHIFT + H].
- In the window that opens, select the date and choose the start and end times.
- Select the job, location, and schedule from the drop-down menus.
- Once all that is done click Save. The house shift will appear in the house shift manager.
Edit and Assign House Shifts
Double click any house shift to open the Edit House Shift window. The shift start/end times, job, location, and schedule can be changed.
To assign a house shift, click and drag the shift onto scheduler. Any employee that is available to work that shift will be highlighted. An employee must be assigned the job code and schedule of the shift. Drop the shift on the cell to assign it.
Questions about why a shift cannot be assigned to a specific employee? Check out this article.
The Smart Select feature can also be used on house shifts. See this article to learn more about this feature.
Delete House Shifts
House shifts can be deleted individually. Select the house shift and press the Delete key on your keyboard. See this article for more information on keyboard shortcuts!
If the entire schedule (assigned and unassigned shifts) needs to be deleted, use the Delete Schedule option in the menu. See this article to learn more about this feature.