In Activity-Based Scheduling, it is possible to create passive shifts. Passive shifts are not displayed within the deployment graph nor impact the labour demand calculations. They can be used for scheduling employees for additional tasks where you do not want to include their hours in your deployment. Some examples are Training shifts, Manager Meetings. This functionality is available to all customers using Activity-Based Scheduling.
The organisation setting will need to be applied by a system administrator.
Fig.1 - Enabling Passive Shift Reason Codes
- Go to Settings > Organisations and select Edit against the required Organisation
- Scroll down and tick the box against Enable Passive Shift Reason Code?
- Scroll further down and Save
Configure Passive Shift Reason Codes
To create a Passive Shift reason code:
- Log in to Activity-Based Scheduling
- Go to Settings > Passive Shift Reason Codes > Create New
- Type a Name for the Passive Shift reason - this will be the name of the reason displayed in the Passive Reason shift box and also on the Passive Shift Reason Report
- Enter a Code - this will be used for further reporting capabilities
- Ticking the Hide box will hide the reason from the Select passive reason drop-down
- Select Save once complete
Fig.2 - Creating Passive Shift Reason Codes
A user-level permission needs to be applied for a user to create passive shifts.
- Go to Settings > User Configuration > User Levels
- Select Edit against the required User Level
- Tick the box against can make shift passive?, scroll down and then Save
- When creating a shift, use the Passive Shift switch and select a Passive Shift Reason from the drop-down (see Fig.3)
Fig.3 - Creating Passive Shifts
Passive shifts are indicated with a dashed outline and italic text.
Fig.4 - Passive Hours in the Schedule Page
Passive Hours Report
All users can view the Passive Hours reporting but only users with access to view costs on the schedule will be able to view the Passive Hours costs. Users without permission to view costs will be able to view passive hours by reason code only.
- Go to Scheduling > View > Passive Hours
Fig.5 - Accessing the Passive Hours Report
The report will be displayed.
- To see the days of the scheduling week, expand the Department drop-down (see Fig.6)
Fig 6. Passive Hours Report
- To drill down into more granular data (per day), expand a specific day of the week
The report will then show Passive Hours by Passive Shift Reason Code (see Fig.7).
Fig 7. Passive Hours Report, day expanded
Fig 8. Passive Hours Report, Reason Code expanded
- Passive costs are calculated on basic pay only. The system will calculate an hourly rate per employee and multiply this by the number of passive hours.