Introducing the new Dashboard page with a new and improved task management functionality.
Release Date: 4th July 2019
Reason for the Change
Providing customers with functionality to be able to visualise and manage a variety of different tasks intuitively from a dedicated area in Engage.
All Fourth Engage users.
Introducing the new Dashboard Page in Engage
The Fourth App is key for customers and their employees to engage with each other, to build a greater sense of community by using all that Engage has to offer but also to encourage collaboration.
Whilst the Fourth App is recognised as being the place to create content and share experiences with each other, it also serves as an important platform for customers to enable employees to carry out multiple operational tasks through a variety of different connected applications offered by Fourth as well as our partners who use Fourths API’s. To support this capability, our teams have been working hard to develop a dedicated area for users to manage tasks originating from a variety of different source systems in one single place with ease.
We have developed the Dashboard to replace the current ‘Task’ page so that users can take advantage of several new capabilities built into task management visualised in a fresh, new user interface which has been designed to deliver an improved user experience.
The dashboard offers the following capabilities over and above the current ‘Tasks’ page.
View multiple tasks from different connected applications (Fourth and Fourth Partners’) in one single page and allow users to identify:
- What task(s) need to be completed
- When the task(s) need to be completed by
- Who the task(s) have been assigned to
- Where task(s) were generated from
- Tasks represented in a timeline with rich contextual information so that users understand when they need to review and action them.
- Allowing users to deep link into the connected application that generated the task by navigating via a link in the task
- Push notifications generated to inform users(s) when tasks have been assigned to them.
- Users can collaborate within a task with a new ‘Comment’ functionality to keep each other up to date on perhaps the progress of the task or to provide more detail that might help action the task.
We will be continuing to evolve the Dashboard and extend its functionality from task management to other operational capabilities in the future.
Tasks Supported in this Release
- Group Join Request
- Group member Approval
- ‘Approve Order’ tasks
- ‘Pending Delivery’ tasks
Viewing the Dashboard page
The Dashboard Page will be available to the following profiles:
- Engage Profiles
- Collaboration Profiles
Users will be able to access the Dashboard via a left-hand menu and this will replace the existing ‘Tasks’ menu item previously visible to users of Engage.
Fig.1 – Dashboard in left hand menu
The Dashboard page now has 2 separate views to organise task(s) assigned to the user for ease of use. Tasks are displayed in two distinct tabs:
- My Tasks – displays a list of all tasks assigned to the user
- Actioned Tasks – displays a list of all tasks assigned to the that have been actioned
Fig.2 – My Tasks and Actioned Tasks Tabs
‘My Tasks’ List View
- Tasks assigned to a user will be displayed in this view within a timeline based on when the tasks are due to be actioned
Fig.3 – My Tasks list view
The timeline is broken down into 2 distinct sections with further categories to help users identify when tasks need to be actioned:
- ‘Overdue’ – will display tasks that are overdue i.e. beyond their due date and not yet actioned
- ‘Upcoming’ – Tasks that are due within the next 2 hours
- ‘Today’ – tasks that are due today
- ‘Tomorrow’ – tasks that are due tomorrow
- ‘Next Week’ – tasks that are due next week
- ‘Undefined’ – tasks that do not have a due date
Fig.4 – Timeline on the list view
Due Dates within applicable tasks are displayed in various colour formats depending on the urgency of when the task is required to be actioned. Fig.5 outlines the rules employees to display the various formats.
Fig.5 – Due Date colours and labels explained
Due dates will be converted to the users’ local time zone set on their device to ensure that the tasks are actioned within the appropriate time irrespective of their geographic location.
Task Detail Page
Users can navigate from the 'My Task' list view to the 'Task Detail' page by clicking on the task itself to view more information related to each individual task including:
- Description of the task
- Users that the task was assigned to
- Content of the task itself
- Link to navigate to the application that triggered the task or to an external web link
Within this page, users can ‘action’ the task by selecting Reject or Approve, see Fig.6.
Fig.6 – Task description and Content
Links and Navigating to Connected Applications
Depending on the type of task and where it was initially triggered from, users will be able to select a link in the top left-hand corner of the task to:
- Go to the connected application that generated the task by selecting the link
- Navigate to an external web page if this link contains a URL hyperlink
Fig.7 – Link to navigate to the application that generated the task
Due Dates within applicable tasks are displayed by coloured labels depending on the urgency of when the task is required to be actioned. Fig.8 outlines the rules of the labels applied to tasks within the Dashboard.
Fig.8 – Due Date Colours and Labels Explained – Task Details
Collaboration within Tasks
Users will be able to add comments related to the task within the ‘Task Detail’ page. This functionality allows the following to be added to comments:
Fig.9 – Comments in Tasks
‘Actioned Tasks’ List View
Tasks that have been actioned by a user from the ‘My Tasks’ view will automatically be moved to the ‘Actioned Tasks’ view.
Other tasks such as the ‘Delivery Due’ task will automatically be moved from the ‘My Tasks’ view to the ‘Actioned Tasks’ view if the action is completed within the source system or application which generated the task. E.g. If the delivery has been successfully received and updated within the Receiving app, the ‘Pending Delivery’ task will be updated to move to the ‘Actioned Tasks’ view.