The ChangeThe SMP functionality and associated screens are being updated to provide more information and increased validation options for data input.
Release Date: 26-Feb-2015
What this means for you?You will need to perform a one-time set of checks in the next pay period following Thursday 26th February. See the steps in the next section.
If you find that the new SMP functionality could benefit you then please follow the "How to" guide that will accompany this release note. This guide will explain to you how to setup the system and configure the options.
In-House Payroll – One time Steps to follow after Thursday 26th February 2015
- Check all existing maternity payments on the payroll from the preview – If payments are feeding through for any employees that are not eligible for payment, exclude the employee following the process in the How to Guide; then check the preview to ensure the SMP payments have been removed.
- Check the Pensionable earnings in the maternity record for existing employees receiving SMP. (If you have previously adjusted the pension contribution to fixed amount, you can change it back to the percentage.)
Reason for the Changes
- It was a manual exercise to change Employers Pension contributions when employees were on paid maternity leave. Due to Automatic Enrolment, and the increased number of employees in pension schemes, the system has been updated to automate this process.
- SMP payments were always paid in full weeks, and for only the number of full weeks in the pay period. The employer has a choice on whether to continue with this payment method, or whether they want to align SMP payments with the pay period, for employees who are paid monthly.
- There is a new global setting to allow this choice at pay basis level.
- The system will now record KIT days on the SMP record.
- Auditing can now be viewed within the SMP screens.
- Where the document refers to SHPP, the changes made are in preparation for the development of the Shared Parental Leave Functionality
Please sign in to leave a comment.