A new process that allows the running of a payroll preview and closure of pay runs in the background, meaning that users can close down their portal, or move screens without affecting the preview or payroll.
Release date: 14th January 2020
Reason for the Change
The current process requires users to stay on the specific preview or payroll close screen whilst the process is completing. For larger payrolls, this can mean that users are unable to proceed with other aspects of their day until the process has finished.
- The standard On Screen process is not being removed and can still be used
- The core calculation processes involved in running the preview and closing payroll have not changed. They will be the same, regardless of which process is selected
- Because the process is now running behind the scenes, users may see a significant decrease in the time that both the payroll preview and the payroll close will take
All HR & Payroll customers using the Payroll module.
- To run the payroll preview, go to Payroll > Pay Runs > Current Pay Run List > select a pay run
- Select Preview
The Preview Data Selection pop-up includes the same selection criteria options as it currently does, only with the addition of a new Preview Mode called Background.
Fig 1. Preview data selection
When the Background process runs, all the data is calculated and stored in the payroll tables. This means that, regardless of which type is selected, once run, any preview type can be extracted.
- To run a preview using the Background process, select the required Location (or All)
- Select the required Division (or All)
- Leave the Type as Basic Details
- Select Preview Mode Background
- Select Run Preview
The page will refresh, and the preview will start to generate in the background.
Please note: while the preview is running the portal can be closed and users can change pages and carry on with other tasks.
Background Preview Progress
If the preview is still running, the progress will show at the bottom of the preview pop-up, as shown in Fig.2.
Fig.2 - Preview in-progress status
Once the preview has completed, the same status will show as ‘Complete’ – see Fig.3.
Fig.3 - Preview completed status
If there has been an issue with the generation of the preview, the status will show as ‘Preview got stuck! Please run again.’
Retrieving the Preview
- To retrieve the preview, go to Preview
- Select the Preview Type*
- Select Retrieve Most Recent Preview
The payroll preview will generate as it usually does.
Fig.4 - Payroll Preview
From here, it is possible to export the preview to Excel, as per the normal process.
*It is possible to select one preview type, and then the other without having to re-run the preview process.
- To close the payroll, go to Payroll > Pay Runs > Current Pay Run List > select a Pay Run
- Select Select All
- Select OK
- Select Complete Payroll
- Enter a Payroll reference
- Close pay run in Background, select Background
- Select Save
Fig.5 - Complete payroll
When the details are saved, the screen will change to the pay run screen.
A completion percentage will be visible – see Fig.6.
Fig.6 - Payroll completion status
During the payroll closure, when processed using the background, the portal can be closed and users can change pages.
For larger pay runs, which may take longer to close, details of the closure status can also be viewed within the pay run itself.
- Go to Payroll > Pay Runs > Current Pay Run List > select the required pay run
An information line will appear at the top of the employee list, showing the following details:
- Closure set method
- Date the closure started
- Number of employees completed
- Estimated time until completion
Fig.7 - Pay run completion status