Ability to create specific automatic break rules for Young Workers (those who are under 18 years of age).
Release date: 16th October 2019
Reason for the Change
Young workers (above school leaving age and under 18) are usually entitled to a 30 minute rest break if they work more than 4.5 hours (if possible this should be one continuous break). The functionality will help organisations to conform to this.
All Labour Productivity customers (if choosing to apply the organisation setting).
A new organisation setting has been created, called Young Workers Break Rule. This setting will need to be applied by a system administrator.
- The setting can be found under Settings > Manage Organisation
- Tick the box under Young Workers Break Rule
Fig.1 - Young Workers Break Rule organisation setting
- Then, go to Settings > Automatic Breaks
A new column will be added to the Automatic Break table which will indicate if the break rule is applied to Young workers.
Please note - once the setting is enabled, a break rule configured to “Young Workers” must be created. If there are no Young Workers Break Rules configured then an automatic break will not be applied to young workers.
Fig.2 - Automatic Breaks page
Creating Young Worker Break Rules
- Go to Settings > Automatic Breaks > Create New
Fig.3 Creating an Automatic Break
- Minimum Break – this is the minimum break time for the break rule, configured with the Automatic Break (minutes) setting. For example, if an automatic minimum break is set as 30 minutes and Allow Edit Below Minimum is not ticked, the break will not be able to be reduced below 30 minutes
- Maximum Break - to allow the automatic break rule to be reduced/removed (if the shift length is reduced), then apply the Maximum Break rule
- Shift Length (hours) - length of shift for the automatic break rule to be calculated
- Automatic Break (minutes) - duration of break to be applied to shift
- Assign break rule to young workers only - ticking this box will apply the break rule for Young Workers only
- Allow Edit Below Minimum - ticking this box will allow reduction of the automatic break duration below the minimum break value
In the example above (Fig.3), any shift for a Young Worker which exceeds 4.5 hours will be automatically assigned a 30 minute break. Young Worker break rules apply to all employees under 18 years of age at that rota week start day date, and will be applied for that schedule week. If an employee’s birthday falls within a schedule week then the rule will still apply for the remainder of that schedule week and will not be triggered for any future schedule weeks.
Fig.4 - 4.5 Hour shift for Young Worker – 30 Minute Break Applied
Figs. 5 & 6 – Minimum and Maximum break rules
In the example above (Figs 5&6) if the employee is scheduled for a 3 hour shift, a 0 minutes duration break will be added. If the shift is then increased to 5 hours, a 30 minute break rule will be applied to the shift
Likewise, if a 5-hour shift is scheduled, a 30 minute break rule will be applied. Then, if the shift is reduced to under 4.49 hours (under 4 hours and 30 minutes) the break will be automatically removed and set to 0.
Please note - when using the Maximum Break setting, if the shift is less than the configured maximum break shift length then the break cannot exceed the maximum break automatic duration.
Fig.7 - Example – 4hour 30-minute shift – 30 Minute break applied
Fig.8 - Example – 4hour 29minute shift – No break applied. Using the example provided, the Maximum Break rule is 0. This means that for a shift under 4hours 29minutes, a break will not be applied
Automatic Break - Allow Edit Below Minimum
Fig.9 – Allow Edit Below Minimum column
If an automatic break rule is configured and the 'Allow Edit Below Minimum' setting is 'True', the break duration will only be applied when the shift is created. If the shift is created and saved for 1 hour, but then is increased to 5 hours, the break rule will not be applied to the increased shift.
When using the Young Workers Break Rule please consider the following stipulations:
- Non-Young Worker break rules will not be applied
- A Young Worker break rule must be configured for automatic breaks to be applied for employees under 18
- If using the “Maximum Break” functionality, please note if a shift is less than the specified shift duration then the break can not exceed the Maximum Break value
Please sign in to leave a comment.