This article continues from Workforce Management Training Module - Employees
The Appraisals area of the training module allows managers to set up and print online appraisal documents as well as assigning particular areas of an appraisal to individual job titles. For example, an area of an appraisal could be 'management of others' with associated questions, however, this area will not be applicable to job titles where they do not hold this kind of responsibility - each job title within a portal can have a bespoke appraisal document for completion.
A first appraisal date can be set for a new employee and from that date on, depending on the frequency setting, it will create a new one for completion 3 months down the line.
Please note: To view Appraisals of former employees, please use the HR module as this can no longer be done in the training module.
This allows the frequency of the appraisals to be set for all employees on the system:
- Go to Appraisals > Frequency Administration
- Select the rate from the default frequency drop-down options
Fig.1 - Selecting appraisal frequency
The system will then prompt for a new appraisal every selected period.
Each Appraisal document will be made up of differing sections or criteria, which need to be set up in advance. When first using this area there will be no preset sections as it can be entirely bespoke to the individual company.
- Go to Appraisals > Appraisal Sections
- To add new appraisal sections, use the Add Appraisal Section button on the right-hand side
Fig.2 - Appraisal Sections
- Enter a Description of the section to be created and the Sequence, which relates to the order it will appear in on the appraisal document
- Ticking Include Multiple Choice? reveals more options for an overall score to be recorded
- Choose the number of multiple choice boxes by using the How many options ? drop-down
- Viewed By Employee ? will allow for this section of the appraisal to be viewed by the employee if they have been granted access to the training module
- Select Save once complete
Fig.3 - Adding an Appraisal (with Multiple Choice options selected)
The next page is where questions associated with the new section can be created.
- Use the Add Question button
- Select the type of answer area required for the question e.g. for an open question select Single or Multiple Line Text Field to provide room to write the answer
- Enter a number in the Sequence field to put the question(s) in order
Fig.4 - Selecting Question Type and Sequence
- Type the question in the Question field and then Save
Fig.5 - Typing a Question and Saving
- Continue to add questions until the section is completed, and then select Next
Fig.6 - The Next button
- Select Available Locations and use the arrow buttons to assign the section to them
- Use the Next button to proceed
Fig.7 - Assigning Locations
- And then assign the section to the relevant Job Titles, again using arrow buttons and Next
- Create as many sections/questions as required, assigning them individually to the locations and job titles to which they are applicable.
Appraisals by Job Title
This is a search/audit area where it is very clear to see which sections created have been assigned to which specific job titles within the portal.
- Go to Appraisals > Appraisals by Job Title
- Select a Job Title from the list to see the sections assigned to it
Fig.8 - Selecting a Job Title
Sections assigned to that Job Title will display.
- To quickly assign/unassign sections, use the Assigned tick boxes and then the Apply button
Fig.9 - Viewing/Assigning Appraisal Sections for a Job Title
This section of the module allows for the first date of an employee's appraisal to be set, and therefore setting the date for consequent appraisals depending upon the frequency setup. It can also be used as a search function to manage when employee appraisals are due.
- Go to Appraisals > Employee Appraisals
- Select the relevant employee from the list or by using the fields at the top of the screen and selecting Search
Fig.10 - Selecting or searching for an Employee
- With an Employee selected, select Set up Appraisals
- Enter the date for when the First Appraisal is due and select Save.
Fig.11 - Setting the First Appraisal date
The next screen will show the appraisal in progress.
- To print off a copy of the appraisal document, select VIEW REPORT
Fig.12 - The VIEW REPORT button for printing the appraisal document
- In the new window that opens, use the Print button
Fig.13 - Appraisal document ready for printing
- To complete the appraisal on the system, go to Appraisals > Employee Appraisals
- Select an employee and then chose one of the Appraisal Sections from the list (instead of viewing the report)
- Move through the appraisal sections, completing the questions
- Remember to use Save on the individual sections whilst going through them
Fig.14 - Completing an Appraisal
- Use the links at the top of the appraisal to Request Training if necessary, Revise Appraisal Date' if it is going to be later or sooner than expected, and Complete Appraisal (once all the information is entered) to create the next appraisal date
Once the initial appraisal is completed the next one will be created. Also, once completed, the VIEW REPORT link will show the completed document, not just the questions asked.
Continue to Workforce Management Training Module - Succession Planning
Please sign in to leave a comment.