Fixed costs can be used to add a value to the wage cost that is not driven by the schedule. Examples of this could be for cleaners, security, or agency staff. This article shows how to set these up and use them in the Rotas module.
Setting up fixed costs is carried out by system admins but managers and supervisors can edit them on a weekly basis.
Setting up a Fixed Cost Area
- From the side menu, go to Rotas > Administration > Fixed Cost Area
Fig.1 - 'Fixed Cost Area' under 'Administration'
- Then select Create Weekly Fixed Costs Area from the top right corner
Fig.2 - Create Weekly Fixed Costs Area
- Enter a Description and Save
- Repeat this for as many Fixed Cost Areas that are required - they will appear in the list on the left side of the page as they are saved
Fig.3 - Adding weekly Fixed Costs Areas
- Then from the side menu, go to Rotas > Administration > Configure Locations
Fig.4 - Configure Locations
- Select the required Location from the drop-down at the top of the page
- Scroll down, and against 'Factor X, Y, Z (%) & Fixed Costs Settings' use the orange arrow drop-down and select Edit Factor X, Y & Z And Fixed Costs
Fig.5 - Edit Factor x and Fixed Costs
- Tick the option to Use Fixed Costs Settings
This will open up more options.
- First, enter the % split across the week (which days these costs need to appear on)
- Then enter the % split for the divisions that the cost will affect
Both totals must equal 100%.
Fig.6 - Percentage split - weekly and by division
- Then, against 'What Is The Total Weekly Fixed Cost For This Location' select Edit
Fig.7 - 'Edit' for the total weekly cost
A new page will display, showing the Fixed Cost Areas that were set up earlier.
- Enter the weekly fixed cost(s) for each Area and then Save
The combined figure will then display on the 'Factor X, Y, Z and Fixed Costs' page, against 'What Is The Total Weekly Fixed Cost For This Location'.
Editing a Fixed Cost from the Rota
Managers and supervisors can edit fixed costs on a weekly basis within the rota, ensuring that the costs can be updated as needed. This does not require administrative access.
- Go to an open rota
- Use the orange drop-down and select Edit Fixed Costs
Fig.8 - Edit Fixed Costs
Existing fixed costs will display.
- Amend the costs as necessary for the week and Save
Fig.9 - Fixed Cost Area
Fixed costs will show as an additional line on the Analysis page, also accessible from the rota link.
Renaming Fixed Costs - Global Settings
It is possible to change how the system labels 'Fixed Costs', which can be useful if a Location only uses a single type.
- Using the side menu, go to Rotas > Administration > Global Settings
Fig.10 - Accessing Global Settings
- Use the orange drop-down arrow and select Edit Rota Settings
Fig.11 - Edit Rota Settings
- Scroll down and tick the box Rename Fixed Costs in Rotas
- Optionally, enter a short name for what they are being used for e.g. cleaning costs, entertainment, agency, etc
- Scroll down and Save
Fig.12 - Edit Default rota settings
The renamed label will then display in the system - as shown in Fig.12 & 13.
Fig.13 - Renamed fixed cost option on a rota
Please sign in to leave a comment.