Note: Please note that this article is for our old scheduler interface. If you are on the new and current scheduler interface, go here.
An unassigned shift in HotSchedules is called a house shift. This means that this shift is not currently assigned to any employee, but it is available for employees to try to pick up. Employees who are not already scheduled during the day part of the house shift will see it as available for pick up. Managers can then approve or deny those employees who attempt to take the house shift.
Follow these steps to create a house shift in the scheduler:
First, you must create the shift, and then you will send it up into the house manager.
- Navigate to the Schedules tab of your HotSchedules account.
- Select the appropriate week from the drop down menu.
- Select Method 7 : Edit a Schedule, and then select the Next button.
- Select the schedule that you need to create the shift in.
- Once you are in the scheduler, you will manually create the shift. You can create it in any open cell. It does not matter who it is initially assigned to since you will be housing it.
- Enter the in and out times as well as the job code and location (if any).
- Hit the OK button to save the shift details.
- Now, select the shift that you just created and press the H key on your keyboard.
- This will send the shift up into the house manager at the top of the scheduler, and the house shift will be orange.
- As soon as you post the schedule with this house shift, it will be available for your employees to try to pick up.
You can turn any currently assigned shifts into house shifts within the scheduler with the H key.
Additionally, when you terminate an employee, any shifts that they were scheduled will be turned into house shifts since they are no longer covered.