What is a receipt as it relates to I-9?
- A receipt is a copy of a document presented to verify identity and employment eligibility.
- A receipt may only be accepted for the replacement of a lost, stolen, or damaged document.
- The validity period for a receipt is 90 days from the hire date.
- At the end of the receipt validity period, the actual document for which the receipt was issued must be presented.
How does a Manager indicate a receipt of a document?
- Managers indicate that a document is a receipt when originally completing Section 2 of the I-9.
- In this case, Managers click the "This document is a receipt" checkbox within Step 3 of Section 2.
- Per USCIS, when a receipt is presented for a list B or C document, EV cases should not be submitted until the actual document is received and the I-9 is completed in reverification.
- When the employee provides the actual document for which the receipt was presented, the employer must update the employee’s Form I-9 and then create a case in E-Verify for the employee
How does a Manager indicate updated documentation for the previous receipt?
- Administrators and Managers can use the I-9 Documentation Dashboard to access individuals who need updated work documentation for receipts on an I-9. The system will not notify you when a receipt must be updated; you will need to use the I-9 Documentation Dashboard to access this information.
To access the I-9 Documentation Dashboard:
- Click WorkSpaces.
- Under your organization's name, click Administrator.
- The Administrator WorkSpace or HOME tab will appear. Click I-9 Documentation.
- A list of Team Members will appear. The status for each individual will display on the right.
- You can search for a Team Members by name or use Filters to narrow down your search.
- Use the I-9 Status filter for Update Work Documentation.
- The Team Member's status will display on the right and appear with Update Work Documentation. Click the information symbol "i" if you need additional details.
- Click Actions. Click Update Work Documentation.
- You will be prompted to update the document. Enter the Document Number and Expiration Date. Continue to complete the I-9 as you normally would.
Please sign in to leave a comment.