This article describes the process of using the customisable retention period settings within Labour Productivity.
Personal data may only be processed in accordance with various principles, but in particular must be:
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which it is processed (‘data minimisation’); and
- Kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data is processed; (‘storage limitation’).
Please Note: Retention Periods are only applied to specific categories of data in Labour Productivity. Details of these, as well as a brief description of the categories of data to which they apply, are set out in our Data Retention Policy (a link to which can be found in this article - GDPR Readiness - Briefing Note and on our website at www.fourth.com/agreements.
The default Retention Periods will only apply to employees who have already been terminated. The solution will apply default Retention Periods but each may be customised. For the deletion script to run, the relevant setting must be applied (see below for more details).
At the end of the selected retention period the services will result in the in the deletion/anonymisation of the relevant data. This will not be recoverable.
Editing Retention Periods
The data stored in Labour Productivity has been grouped into two categories for the purposes of the retention periods - Financial and Non-Financial data.
Controlling the retention settings applied to these two types of data is actioned through the Edit Retention Periods settings page.
Please Note: To access this page, the Edit Retention Periods permission needs to be enabled for the user. This setting allows for the deletion/anonymisation script to be run in the portal, and for the default retention periods to be edited.
To edit the retention periods:
- Log into Labour Productivity and select the Settings tab
- Select the required Location
- Scroll down and select Data Retention Periods from the left-side menu
- Tick the Edit Retention Periods box
After this setting is ticked, the following fields will display, more information on these settings is detailed below:
- Non Financial Data
- Financial Data
- The end of Tax Year
Fig.1 - Edit Retention Periods Box and Retention Settings
Non Financial Data Field
- This field will set the retention period applicable to this category of data, enter a value between 0 and 99
- This value denotes how many years after an employee's termination that their data allocated to the Non-Financial Data category will be retained (rounded up to a calendar month)
If no value is entered, a default value of 2 years will be used, but this will only be applied to the portal if the Edit Retention Periods setting is ticked.
Once the server has run, the applicable data will be deleted or anonymised, and this will not be recoverable. This service will run on a monthly basis.
Financial Data Field
- This field will set the retention period applicable to this category of data, and accepts a value between 1 and 99
- This value denotes how many years after the end of the relevant tax year (see below) in which an employee's termination occurs that their data which is allocated to the Financial Data category will be retained for (rounded up to a calendar month)
- This field must have a greater value than the Non Financial Data field
If no value is entered, a default value of 7 years will be used, but this will only be applied to the portal if the Edit Retention Periods setting is ticked.
Once the server has run, the applicable data will be deleted or anonymised, and this will not be recoverable. This service will run on an annual basis.
End of Tax Year Field
- This field controls the applicable tax year (as described above, the deletion/anonymisation script for Financial Data is run based on a tax year end)
- Enter the format as dd/mm
- Financial Data is deleted from the specified number of years from the end of the tax year in which the employee was terminated
- Once all the relevant fields have been populated, Save
A warning message will display (see Fig.2), explaining that is the user’s responsibility that the chosen settings are in accordance with applicable law.
- Select Ok to apply the Retention Period values entered
Fig.2 - Warning Message
Non-Financial data includes:
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Internal IDs
- Student Visa Information
Financial data includes:
- Personnel Number
- Date of Birth
- Job title
- Employment details
- Pay rates
- Working location