The ChangeDevelopment has been carried out to allow users access to the HR and Rota modules in the People System from Safari, Chrome and Firefox (desktop and mobile versions).
Release Date: 01-Dec-2014
Reason for the ChangeUntil now People System has only supported Internet Explorer for access to the system. Many of our customers are now using tablet devices, Apple PC’s or have selected Chrome as their standard browser.
Fourth is in the process of updating the People System to allow use of all these browsers giving our customers greater choice of the device and browser.
Customers AffectedAll People System customers that wish to use a browser other than Internet Explorer.
- As of December 01, 2014 the HR and Rota modules will be supported in Public Preview with Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Additional modules will be rolled out over the coming months.
- The login screen technical requirements section will be updated to reflect the new supported browsers.
- If a user logins with Chrome, Safari or Firefox they will only see the HR and Rota modules (if they already have access to them). They will not see the other modules that they have access to until Fourth supports them. They will still need to use Internet Explorer to access the other modules.
- Fourth will be supporting the other modules of People System over the coming months. We will notify our customers via further release notes as and when each module becomes available.
- People System with Internet Explorer uses an ActiveX Plugin (Active Reports) that provides on screen access to some reports. As ActiveX is not supported on Chrome, Firefox or Safari. When users visit report pages that give the option under Internet Explorer to view the report onscreen they will only get the option to download the report in CSV format (see Fig 1).
- This is a current issue for reports that are designed for on screen usage. Early in 2015 Fourth will release a download to PDF option that will recreate the onscreen report layout.
- During 2015 Fourth will develop the capability to view reports onscreen directly.
Fig 1 - Report Output Format – CSV Only
- The Tronc and Tronc2 modules are available since January 22, 2015.
- We support and test on the latest 2 versions of Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Other browsers, like Opera, though not officially supported, may work with limited functionality.
- People System is not optimised for use on small screens. If accessed from a mobile phone it will work but you will be required to use the zoom in/out function to see elements on the screen clearly.
- If a user tries to run a report on their OS or Android device and it appears to be stuck at the “Creating Report for Download” page for an unduly long period, check that they have Pop-Ups allowed in their settings. The default setting for Safari and Chrome on iOS is to block Pop Ups and for Chrome on Android.