This article details various troubleshooting tips and areas to check regarding issues for Employee Details within Payroll, including Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay, Termination and Payslips.
For more troubleshooting articles see WFM - Payroll Troubleshooting Articles
Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
Question / Problem: Statutory Sick Pay Not Feeding through to Payroll
Please Note: Statutory Sick Pay will only calculate if an employee has been off sick for 4 or more days in a row.
Statutory Sick Pay may not feed through to Payroll for the following reasons:
'Documents Seen' Setting
Sick pay can sometimes not feed through to Payroll if the sick notes from the doctor were not ticked as ‘Seen’. As such, if the 'Document’s Seen?' setting has not been ticked, the absence will not calculate any payments.
- Delete the absence and re-create it again with the Document Seen option ticked
Absence Type Settings
The Absence Type selected for the absence may not be set up to allow for Statutory Sickness Payments.
To check this setting:
- Go to Payroll > Administration > Absence Types
- Select the required Absence Type and make sure the 'SSP Payments?' box is ticked
Question / Problem: Setting Default Days Worked for SSP Qualifying Days
To change default 'Days Usually Worked' for absences, go to:
- Payroll > Administration > Company Setup > Select PAYE > View Pay Basis > Select Pay Basis > SSP Qualifying Days
Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
Question / Problem: Employee is not receiving Statutory Maternity Pay
SMP may not feed through to Payroll for the following reasons:
SMP can sometimes not feed through to Payroll if the setting ‘Medical Evidence?’ has not been ticked.
To resolve, ensure that the 'Medical Evidence?' setting has been ticked on the SMP record.
To do so:
- Go to Payroll > Employees > Employee List
- Search and select the required employee
- Within the Employee Record, select the Employee Payroll Info drop-down menu and select Statutory Maternity Pay
Fig.1 - Selecting Statutory Maternity Pay
- Select the required SMP Record
- Check that the 'Medical Evidence?' box is ticked
Fig.2 - SMP Record
Is the employee entitled to SMP?
To check this, the entitlement can be viewed on the SMP record by going to:
- Payroll > Employees > Employee List > select employee > Employee Payroll Info > Statutory Maternity Pay > select SMP record
Fig.3 - SMP Record
- Select the View Entitlement link and Eligibility guidelines will display in a pop-up
Fig.4 - View Entitlement page
Question/Problem: Unable to enter SMP stop date
If the error (Fig.5) is showing, please try entering the 'SMP stop date' using 'Internet Explorer' as your web browser.
Fig.5 - SMP stop date error
Question/Problem: Employee's pay basis has changed, their SMP payments are not in line with the new pay frequency
If an employee’s pay basis (pay frequency) has changed whilst they have an existing SMP record, enter a stop date into the current SMP record and create a new one on the correct/new pay basis.
- It will need to be ended on the last date of the last period and then set up the new record as if from the original start of the SMP
- The first payment will be high and will need to be overridden to reduce it by the amount already paid
- The Baby Due Date will need to be entered on the new record as the day after the original date, otherwise, the system will produce an error. It would be recommended to make a note of the actual baby due date in the Override Earnings section of the SMP record
Question / Problem: Unable to terminate an employee for a future date
Payroll End Date
If the termination date is beyond the current Payroll end date, then the termination will not be processed by the system.
To resolve, the Allow Termination Dates Beyond the Current Payroll End Date setting needs to be switched on. To do so:
Go to Payroll > Administration > Global Settings > Holiday Pay > tick box for Allow Termination Dates Beyond the Current Payroll End Date > Save
Please Note: This is a setting which only users in Fourth can view/enable.
Question / Problem: Unable to tick 'Documents Seen?'
To be able to tick this setting, the user must have access to this permission:
- Payroll > Users > Assign User Access > select Employee > User Profile > tick Edit Absence Documents Seen > Save
Question / Problem: Company name on employee payslip
Please check which PAYE the employee is listed under by going to:
- Payroll > Employees > Employee List > search for and select Employee > Employee Payroll Info > Pay & Tax Details > Company
If the employee needs to transfer PAYE, they need to be terminated as a TUPE transfer and rehired under the correct PAYE.
If the PAYE is correct on the employee’s record but shows differently on the payslip, this can be due to a Global Setting where the Company Name has been changed.
- This can be found and checked in Payroll > Administration > Global Settings > Payslip / P60 Settings > Different Company Name on Pay Slip?
Question / Problem: Payslips not being received by email
Pay Basis Setup
If the majority of the Pay Basis’ within the company have been set up in Payroll to have payslips sent by paper, then they will not be received by email.
To change this:
- Go to Payroll > Administration > Company Setup > select Company > View Pay Basis > select Description > set Payslip Delivery Method to Email > Save
Does the employee have a personal email address?
- Go to Employees > Employee List > search for and select the Employee
- Go to Employee Info > Employee History to check that the email address was not entered after a pay date
If the pay run was not completed before the set pay date, the payslips will not be able to be sent on the email scheduler.
Question / Problem: Employee Mileage is not Auto-Calculating
If there is no Job Title or Band attached to the required Expense, then this could be the reason for the Mileage not pulling through.
- Check the Expense Workflow and assign the correct Band, then assign the required Job Title
Other Areas to Check
If the employee's Expense Mileage is not calculating, please check the following:
- Is the employee attached to a Mileage Scheme? Check this by going to Payroll > Expenses > Mileage Schemes > Employee List > Search Employee > Is there a scheme selected?
- What is the effective date of the Expense? Does it fall within the Effective Date 'To' and 'From' dates for the Mileage Scheme? This can be checked within Payroll > Expenses > Mileage Schemes > Select Scheme > See Effective Dates