This article details various troubleshooting tips and areas to check regarding issues for Employee Details within Payroll, including Statutory Sick Pay, Statutory Maternity Pay, Termination and Payslips.
Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
Question / Problem: Statutory Sick Pay Not Feeding through to Payroll
Please Note: Statutory Sick Pay will only calculate if an employee has been off sick for 4 or more days in a row.
Statutory Sick Pay may not feed through to Payroll for the following reasons:
Documents Seen Setting
Sick pay can sometimes not feed through to Payroll if the sick notes from the doctor were not ticked as ‘Seen’. As such, if the Document’s Seen? setting has not been ticked, the absence will not calculate any payments.
- Delete the absence and re-create it again with the Document Seen option ticked
Absence Type Settings
The Absence Type selected for the absence may not be set up to allow for Statutory Sickness Payments.
To check this setting:
- Go to Payroll > Administration > Absence Types
- Select the required Absence Type and make sure that the SSP Payments? box is ticked
Question / Problem: Setting Default Days Worked for SSP Qualifying Days
To change default 'Days Usually Worked' for absences, go to:
- Payroll > Administration > Company Setup > Select PAYE > View Pay Basis > Select Pay Basis > SSP Qualifying Days
Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
Problem / Question: Employee is not receiving Statutory Maternity Pay
SMP may not feed through to Payroll for the following reasons:
SMP can sometimes not feed through to Payroll if the setting ‘Medical Evidence?’ has not been ticked.
To resolve, ensure that the Medical Evidence? setting has been ticked on the SMP record.
To do so:
- Go to Payroll > Employees > Employee List
- Search and select the required employee
- Within the Employee Record, select the Employee Payroll Info drop-down menu and select Statutory Maternity Pay
- Select the required SMP Record
- Check that the Medical Evidence? box is ticked
Is the employee entitled to SMP?
To check this, the entitlement can be viewed on the SMP record by going to:
- Payroll > Employees > Employee List > Select employee > Employee Payroll Info > Statutory Maternity Pay > Select SMP record
- Select the View Entitlement link and Eligibility guidelines will display in a pop-up
Question / Problem: Unable to Terminate Employee for Future Date
Payroll End Date
If the termination date is beyond the current Payroll end date, then the termination will not be processed by the system.
To resolve, the Allow Termination Dates Beyond the Current Payroll End Date setting needs to be switched on. To do so:
- Go to Payroll > Administration > Global Settings > Holiday Pay > tick box for Allow Termination Dates Beyond the Current Payroll End Date > Save
Please Note: This is a setting which only users in Fourth can view / enable.
Question / Problem: Unable to Tick ‘Documents Seen?’
To be able to tick this setting, the user must have access to this permission:
- Payroll > Users > Assign User Access > Select Employee > User Profile > Tick Edit Absence Documents Seen > Save
Question / Problem: Incorrect Company Name on Employee Payslip
Please check which PAYE the employee is listed under by going to:
- Payroll > Employees > Employee List > search for and select Employee > Employee Payroll Info > Pay & Tax Details > Company
If the employee needs to transfer PAYE, they need to be terminated as a TUPE transfer and re-hired under the correct PAYE.
If the PAYE is correct on the employee’s record but shows differently on the payslip, this can be due to a Global Setting where the Company Name has been changed.
- This can be found and checked in Payroll > Administration > Global Settings > Payslip / P60 Settings > Different Company Name on Pay Slip?
Question / Problem: Payslips not being Received by Email
Pay Basis Setup
If the majority of the Pay Basis’ within the company have been set up in Payroll to have payslips sent by paper, then they will not be received by email.
To change this:
- Go to Payroll > Administration > Company Setup > select Company > View Pay Basis > Select Description > set Payslip Delivery Method to Email > Save
Does the employee have a personal email address?
- Go to Employees > Employee List > search for and select the Employee
- Go to Employee Info > Employee History to check that the email address was not entered after a pay date
- If the pay run was not completed before the set pay date, the payslips will not be able to be sent on the email scheduler
Question / Problem: Employee Mileage is not Auto-Calculating
If there is no Job Title or Band attached to the required Expense, then this could be the reason for the Mileage not pulling through.
- Check the Expense Workflow and assign the correct Band, then assign the required Job Title
Other Areas to Check
If the employee's Expense Mileage is not calculating, please check the following:
- Is the employee attached to a Mileage Scheme? Check this by going to Payroll > Expenses > Mileage Schemes > Employee List > Search Employee > Is there a scheme selected?
- What is the effective date of the Expense? Does it fall within the Effective Date 'To' and 'From' dates for the Mileage Scheme? This can be checked within Payroll > Expenses > Mileage Schemes > Select Scheme > See Effective Dates
WFM - Payroll Troubleshooting Articles