The Auto Scheduler is a great tool for quickly scheduling out your shifts in HotSchedules. When you run the Auto Scheduler, you are given a series of options to configure how you would like the shifts to be assigned out. Using the Skill Level Rule settings is a useful way to ensure that the correct shifts are assigned to qualified people.
Example: You have a very experienced server who can handle larger sections during busy shifts vs. a brand new server who is still learning the ropes. The skill level rule settings can help you make sure that the Auto Scheduler takes their difference in experience and ability into account when assigning shifts.
Before you can utilize the Skill Level Rule options with the Auto Scheduler, there are a few things you must set up:
- You must assign all of your employees the appropriate skill level in the Staff tab. This article can walk you through how to do that.
- You must configure the Auto Scheduler Settings for Skill Levels on the Settings tab. This article can explain how to do just that.
Once you have completed those steps, you are ready to begin utilizing this feature. To use the Auto Scheduler, you will need to be in the scheduler with your shifts already created. This can be accomplished by manually creating the shifts, applying a template, or applying a template or applying a forecast, depending on how your site is set up.
Follow these steps to use skill level rules with the Auto Scheduler:
- The Toolbar Functions can be found on the left side of the scheduler.
- Locate the Auto Scheduler section.
- Select the Go button to use the auto scheduler.
- A pop up box will appear asking you which auto scheduler options you would like to use when applying these shifts to your staff.
- You will find the Skill Level Rule options at the bottom of this box. You will have three options:
- No skill level rule - The auto scheduler will not reference skill levels at all.
- Use skill level thresholds - Per the Auto Scheduler settings configured on the Settings tab, a certain percentage of shifts will be assigned to team members with the preferred skill level.
- <Use location skill levels - Per the Auto Scheduler settings configured on the Settings tab, shifts with certain locations will only be assigned to team members with the correct skill level.
- Select the option you wish to use.
- Select Continue to automatically generate your schedule.
- Your shifts should be distributed to you employees based on your selections.