You plug the iPad USB connection cable into a computer... and then the battery does not charge. What?!
The problem is that the ports on many USB hubs, smaller notebooks and even some desktops aren't powerful enough to charge the iPad while its screen is on.
Here are some troubleshooting steps:
- The battery icon in the upper right corner of the screen shows Not Charging rather than the "+" symbol inside the battery.
- This is an easy problem to fix. If you don't want to use the AC power adapter that came with your iPad, you can plug it into a powered USB hub.
- If there is no indication of the iPad charging at all, check the plug connection, all cables, and the connection directly to the iPad to ensure all cables are properly in place and inserted.
- Also check the cables themselves to ensure that they are not cut or exposed. These cables can be delicate and easy to accidentally cut. If it is damaged, you will just need to replace it.
- If there is no cable issue and all connections are in place, the iPad may have an internal issue.